I don’t always have bacon in the fridge. Also, I have vegetarian friends who eat seafood, so I adapted my previous recipe. This uses canned clams because cleaning tiny clams doesn’t really make a difference in the taste. I’ve done it both ways many times.
This is a kid-friendly recipe. Young children can add ingredients to the pot and stir. Older kids can cut potatoes and open cans. I let Fluffy use frozen diced onions when she wants to do it all by herself.
- 1 stick (1/4 pound) butter
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 4-6.5 ounce whole, minced or chopped clams, drain and reserve liquid
- 2 bottles clam nectar
- 1 quart heavy cream
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Melt butter on medium heat until it begins to bubble.
- Add onions. Cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add clam juice and potatoes. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- After it has reduced, add clams, cover and cook for another hour.
- Add milk, simmer on medium low for another hour. Season to taste.
If it is not thick enough for your liking, pulse a stick blender in it several times and cook for 5 more minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with crusty bread.